Sunday, June 01, 2014

Moderator’s Notes by Stan Rodabaugh

John 21:17-19, New International Version (NIV)

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?”He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

This scripture in John has piqued my interest for many years. I know when Jesus said, “When you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He is indicating the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. But, these words ring true to me for all who live this life into old age. I have told many people that I believe one of the last spiritual disciplines we are challenged with is growing old and dying gracefully and graciously, and, Jesus words, in a way that will “Glorify God.”

I am rapidly living into that stage of life. I was 33 yrs. old when I first entered full time pastoral ministry. Since then I have continually accompanied many people on this journey of life as they lived into the situation Jesus describes. Aging is the process of dying slowly. Bodies function less well year by year; things we were able to do comfortably when we were young become more difficult and eventually impossible for us to do. Jesus talks about the issue of dressing ourselves , I have seen many faithful followers of Jesus get to the point where they are no longer able to attend worship services on Sunday because they just can’t get ready in time. We are all familiar with the crisis our loved ones experience in our culture when they can no longer drive. Discerning when one can no longer live alone safely is often not simple or easy, especially when the children believe that they must intervene. As Jesus told Peter “Someone else will lead you where you do not want to go.”

You might think that I am writing this article for the elderly in our congregations. I am not! I am writing to those who are not yet experiencing what Jesus described to Peter. Jesus told Peter in time for him to prepare for what was ahead. I have seen people move through the aging and dying process with such grace and beauty and love that I consider them my heroes, my mentors. They were amazing and wonderful people who clearly were strengthened by the Spirit of God, the Father and the Son. I have also witnessed people who became angry and ill-tempered, who made their families and everyone around them miserable. They were shocked that their bodies were aging. Apparently, they have lived their entire lives in denial about the inevitability of this process for everyone. The only alternative is dying young. The most powerful witness for Christ in our entire life may very well be the way we deal with aging and death. Just like all of the Christian martyrs who lived and died before us, we want our living and our dying to glorify God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. I believe we need teaching and training when we are younger to realize this stage of life is one of our greatest challenges. The rest of our journey needs to prepare us for this most difficult stage. Jesus says to us, “Follow me!”