Friday, January 01, 2021

Moderator’s Musings

Extending Charity is dangerous work. By heeding God’s calling, it can become subversive work. Charles Dickens’ work, the “The Christmas Carol,” besides being a whimsical look at Christmas traditions, is an in-your-face novel. It speaks of taking up the needs of widows, orphans, and the alien. It is a reminder that it is important to give at the end of the year – especially for those last-minute tax deductions – and to develop a charitable attitude throughout the year, as the need does not wane after the New Year is rung in.

One of the ongoing discussions regarding giving to the least of God’s children is who do we give to and what will they do with it?

One of the books I have on my shelf is “Changing Lenses: Restorative Justice for our Times, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition,” by Howard Zehr (Copyright© 2015 by Herald Press, Harrisonburg VA). Dr. Zehr is a leading proponent of restorative justice as it pertains to criminal justice reform. What struck me in his opening chapters are the cast of characters in the drama known as the criminal legal system: the victim, the perpetrator/offender, the prosecutor, the defense attorney, the judge, and the law.

It may be a stretch, but in the discussions of giving aid and extending charity, the fear expressed is that as givers we contribute to the offender’s lifestyle. We are guarded that we do not become victimized by our giving.

Dr. Zehr, as he walks his readers through the victim’s response to becoming a victim, lists six questions (page 32) victims must ask in order to begin the process of healing. The questions are: 1. What happened? 2. Why did it happen to me? 3. Why did I act as I did atthe time? 4. Why have I acted as I have since that time? 5. What if it happens again? 6. What does this mean for me and for my outlook(my faith, my vision of the world, my future)? Maybe we need to ask ourselves these same questions as we struggle with how to respond in our giving.

There are times when I feel Scrooge-like. I do not always treat members of society as God wants me to treat them in Matthew 25. I have my guard up. I want to rationalize and debate the issue of giving without being a victim. I want to be that cheerful giver we are told about and desired by God.

This past Christmas season the Dixon Church of the Brethren took on a project to aid several nursing homes in our area. The project was met with enthusiasm and our goal was exceeded. When we presented our gift to each facility, it was received with immense gratitude. Our desire was to help these homes enhance their mission during this season of the COVID pandemic. Using language from Diana Butler-Bass’s book “Grateful,” we were benefactors bestowing gifts. The nursing homes as beneficiaries were grateful recipients. There was no angst about whether the gift might be misused.

But what about the rest of our community? What about those neighbors who have no access to those institutions we are so willing to support?

As we ask ourselves these questions – if we look into our hearts and seek God’s response to that which causes us to question our charity – where will we come out?

For the victim in this drama, wholeness takes place when answers can be given. The work is slow and hard. Will we trust in the God who knows us to provide comfort and healing and to show the way to forgiveness? Or do we want to qualify our charity? I think Matthew 26 answers that question quite definitely.