Monday, August 01, 2011

From the Moderator, Lisa Fike

Greetings from Camp Emmaus! As I am composing this letter I am directing Elementary 2 Camp. We have a great group of 9 and 10 year olds and a wonderful counseling and support staff. As I was preparing for the activities at camp I was reminded once again of God’s wonderful ways. When I saw that the theme for our final day at camp is “I am the true vine, my Father is the gardener. I am the vine and you are the branches when I am joined with me and I with you …” John 15:1, 5. Once again God put this scripture in front of me. One of our final activities with the campers will be to make a giant grape cluster using purple balloons and green chenille sticks to represent vines. Each of the participants will be invited to write on a balloon a way they are connected to Jesus....

(Later) After passing the challenge of blowing up balloons and tying them, the children had many great ideas on how they can connect with Jesus; their responses included praying, making Christian friends, go to Sunday school and camp, sing Christian Rap Music! And many, many more.

How do you stay connected to Jesus? As I told the campers at Camp Emmaus …When we are connected to Jesus, we can do amazing things in His name.