Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Thoughts from the Moderator - Stan Rodabaugh

As I reflected on a good word to share as we prepare to come together as the Illinois/Wisconsin District of the Church of the Brethren, the words of Jesus quoted throughout the New Testament came to mind. “He that hath ears, let him hear”. These words remind me of my years of schooling, especially my time at the Earlham School of Religion. Often, while engrossed in a topic of discussion being addressed by the professor or other students, I would be mentally composing my response. Then I would raise my hand eager to share my great insight into the issue. Meanwhile, I had totally missed the insights of professor and fellow students. It was a major turnaround in my academic career when I came to the conclusion that what I had to say wasn’t nearly as important as hearing what the professor had to share; he was the “teacher” after all. In realizing that I was in school to learn and not to teach, I became more teachable. Consequently, I learned more and my grades improved. I am sure my classmates were relieved. While it was important that I learn to speak my mind and share my thoughts, learning to listen first and speak later proved the fruitful plan for me.

May we pray and think about the spirit in which we participate as we prepare to come to District Conference in Elgin. As Moderator, I encourage everyone to be willing to share thoughts and feelings openly and honestly. I also want to encourage us to be committed to ask the Lord to help us listen to each other with the desire to truly understand each other. Let us make it more important to understand than to be understood (See prayer of St. Francis 733 in HYMNAL: A WORSHIOP BOOK). My suggestion may seem radical, but I believe it is true: I do not believe we will convince each other of our positions on various issues. Although debates may result in someone’s mind being changed, more often they result in strained or broken relationships. May we embrace this goal-- that at the end of conference we will know it was safe to speak from our hearts, that we were understood, and that we offered others the same safety and understanding. Whatever we decide about the issues will be more pleasing to the Lord Jesus if we part having compassion, love and understanding for the ones with whom we disagree. After all, we are family, and parents continue to love their children even when they choose a path they don’t approve. Yes, In Christ Jesus we can be gracious to people we do not agree with. If we let Him, Jesus will help us with this. I am looking forward to District Conference, and I hope you are too!