Wednesday, April 01, 2015

DE Ponderings by Kevin Kessler

I am not a regular listener of contemporary Christian music but I do occasionally indulge in it, mainly because I try to keep an open mind and engage all kinds of music.

Recently, while listening to a contemporary Christian radio station, a song by Casting Crowns played that grabbed my attention. So often contemporary music of any kind feels as though it’s shouting at me. I like more subtle tones, something more contemplative, if you will. This particular song from Casting Crowns has a simple beat, almost eerie (not the best descriptive term to use but a better word doesn’t come immediately to mind). The tune alone got my attention. But then I started listening to the words, words that immediately drew me in, made me want to find out more about the song.

The song is entitled “Broken Together”. As I researched it, I found out that it was written with married couples in mind who are dealing with a rocky relationship. The words of the song make perfect sense in that context.

But I heard the words of the song in a completely different context, a context which I am presently experiencing, a context of broken relationships within the church. The words of the song caused me to immediately think, especially, about the conflict in the church over issues of human sexuality. This is a context in which I find myself squarely in the middle. I hope and pray often that this conflict can be resolved or at the very least those who are on opposite sides of the conflict can be reconciled. But the more I engage this conflict the more I understand the complexity of moving forward.

The chorus from the Casting Crowns song, Broken Together, may offer a way. The chorus of this song may be a way for us to think about all our broken relationships, may be a way forward for any of us who have trouble understanding one another. I invite you to ponder with me whether these words may help us. Here are the words to the chorus of Broken Together:

Maybe you and I were never meant to be complete
Could we just be broken together
If you can bring your shattered dreams and I’ll bring mine
Could healing still be spoken and save us
The only way we'll last forever is broken together.


It might be helpful to reflect on the above thoughts in relation to these words from Luke 22 (NKJV): “And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.”

Whenever we partake of the bread and the cup, we enter together into Christ’s brokenness...broken together.

The Casting Crowns song intimates that the only way we’ll last forever is to be broken together. Could it be that the only way we’ll last together with Jesus, with God, is to be broken together? My humble opinion is that the answer to this question is “yes.” Yes, because when we are broken together with Jesus we also then enter into the assurance of his resurrection. So when we are broken together, we also are restored together, resurrected together. I find hope in being broken together.

Prayer: God you open the door for us to enter into your brokenness, together. We come incomplete. We come bringing our shattered dreams. We come waiting for healing to be spoken. We come broken together. Broken together is the only way we can expect to be raised with you...healed...restored...made new...together. Amen.