Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Letter from Stanley Church of the Brethren

Dear members of the IL/WI District,

We would like to thank you for your support for the mission trip to South Carolina. The trip glorified and honored God and really made a difference for those we were blessed to help!

The homes we repaired were in disarray since flooding in October, 2015, and people were very grateful for our service. My niece, Mallory, and I learned how to do roofing. It was hard work, but God blessed us with strength and we worked with great men. They were patient with us and taught us. We were even allowed to use the electric nail gun! We worked at this house for three days and then on Thursday, Mallory and I were sent to another house. Our mission was to pick up the papers (tar paper, etc.) flying off the roof as the roofers worked. The wind was so strong! We cut the tar paper and the wind would sometimes blow and tear it. At one point, Mallory lay down on the tar paper; there’s more than one way to do things right! She was definitely creative and an even harder worker. I am very proud of her and happy to call her my niece. The first four days, we also cleaned up after the roofers.

On the last day, Mallory and I were blessed to prepare a house for a contractor that planned on coming in the following week. He was planning to start restoring the house. Due to slow work, he volunteered to bring his guys to work for three days. After he finished, other volunteers of BDM would be able to come in and complete the job.

There was one lady I worked with who was special. I spent as much time as I could with her, separating what she wanted to keep and what she wanted to discard. One of her legs was amputated and she told me of her husband who had passed away. He served in the military for thirty-five years. After running into the newspaper article, she told me about one of their sons, who died of cancer. He was a roller figure skater his trophies were in her basement. She also has a son that lives with her. He has knee and back problems and was a truck driver. They appear to get along well and he respects his mom; I enjoyed seeing that.

We came home tired, but it was a good kind of tired. We still praise God for using us in this capacity. Anne was placed in a home where she painted, organized, moved things, etc. She wants to go back and bring her husband, as do Mallory and I! We will see what the Lord has in store.

Thank you again! I pray that God will continue to bless us all with hearts of compassion for the needy. I also pray that He will bless us continually, equipping us to continue glorifying and honoring His precious name.

In His Service and with great thanks,

Pastor Laurie Natzke, Anne Madison, Mallory Kroeplin

Stanley Church of the Brethren