Sunday, April 01, 2018

Moderator Notes

My uncle, Raymond Haynes, passed on a few years ago and his treasures were divvied out to younger members of the family. My son, Peter, was given Uncle Ray's Bible, which Peter lost little time in showing to me. I was surprised to find it printed in Greek. I was even more surprised at my son's glowing statement that Greek was the language in which Jesus taught and preached. The Talmud teaches the religious rules regarding language in the synagogue, as well as speaking or teaching in public (Jerushalmi: Megilla: I: 5A-5C). Jesus grew up by the rules of the Torah (first five books of the Old Testament), the Talmud (Commentary), and the Mishna (Rules). His entire community lived by these rules. If Jesus committed an unclean act, such as speaking Greek in the synagogue or while teaching, they would not listen. This is because Jesus would be committing the unclean act of godly teaching in an alien language. One of the instructional books for Hebrew says: “A father would do better to teach his son to eat pork than to study the foreign tongue”. Jesus’ followers in and around Nazareth (Nazritz) would expect to hear scripture read or discussed only in Assyrian. Any other language would be unclean and people would refuse to listen. This rule has not changed: Some worship may be spoken in English, but most scripture must be spoken in Syriac. However, it may be repeated in English afterwards. While in Nazareth and surrounding areas, Jesus only spoke Syriac.

My son, Peter, was upset because at his seminary, modern Hebrew was taught one semester every two years. I was also informed that many Seminaries teach Jesus spoke Greek while teaching in the synagogue. This would not have been possible.

While I was in Washington D.C., I received a huge surprise. I was at the Library of Congress searching for organ music--five volumes, which contained many works of Emma Louise Ashford. I already have three of the five volumes and was searching for the other two. Unfortunately, a Congressman already checked out the entire set and had not returned them. I was out of luck, but they promised to try to find the missing music. Thus, I left the library feeling badly.

I hailed a cab, got in, and told the cabbie where I wanted to go. I noticed the cab’s dashboard had a rock and a plastic fish. I said: “The rock that was rolled aside and the fish”. The driver smiled and answered: “Are you Nazritzii?” I was surprised beyond measure. I said: “Are there congregations still?” We then engaged in conversation. He was Warden of the Synagogue, and he was also a Christian. He stated that he is “Meshiakhii”, or “He follows the Messiah”. It is agreed among his friends that one who raises people from the dead is at least a prophet, although some also believe he is the Messiah. I didn’t stay long and was disappointed to find out that the closest Nazritzim are in Chicago and in St. Louis. That is most definitely farther than a thousand steps.

It seems that I have lots to keep me busy: organ playing, music digitization for the Music Library of Berlin, studying Syriac, and also writing notes. God be with us all. Also, there is still a need for two piano and organ players for District Conference this upcoming November. If you are interested in playing, please call Carol Kussart at Cerro Gordo Church of the Brethren.

—Paul Kohler