Thursday, June 01, 2006

PANTHER CREEK DISTRICT WORKDAY

"For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" Matthew 18:20. God's spirit was indeed among us as some 56 people gathered to help Panther Creek with the work that needed to be done. It was a long day for the six of us from the Freeport congregation as we started early in the morning for our drive. Once gathered, the work was divided out. Some built walls while others cleaned out rooms. We had scrapers and painters and caulkers hard at work all day long. I understand that Panther Creek was only expecting about 20 people, but in the old Brethren tradition, come lunch time there was plenty of food and plenty of fellowship. It is always nice to visit with old friends and meet new ones. I can't say I was particularly excited about working on my day off, and by the end of the day I was tired, dirty and wet (not to mention the paint scrapings in my hair and paint on my clothes). Yet when we headed back north, I felt fulfillment, satisfaction and a sense that this is what Jesus taught us to do. God willing, I be on the next venture the District puts together!

Jane Bicksler