Thursday, April 01, 2010

DE Ponderings

by Kevin Kessler, District Executive

President Barack Obama just this week signed into law sweeping health care reform legislation. Getting this legislation to the point of being passed was a bipartisan nightmare. The fervor has not died down. Strong feelings about whether or not this is the right legislation are still bouncing around and I suspect will continue to for some time yet.

Truthfully, I'm not sure where I stand on this matter. On one hand I think it is a step in the right direction. On the other hand I wonder if more incremental measures rather than a comprehensive plan would have been better. And, I have not read the bill nor do I have all the facts to make a completely informed decision. All I know about the legislation is what I read and hear from the media. I will continue trying to learn more, to gain a broader understanding.

Moreover, as I enter deeper into this issue, I hope to do so not so much from a political point-of-view but rather from a religious perspective. One of the questions I ask is, What would Jesus have to say about all of this? I understand this to be an unfair question knowing that the contexts in which Jesus lived and ours are very different. And I don't know of any scripture that specifically talks about health care reform. Yet, I believe Jesus can speak to me, through scripture, in my process of forming a deeper understanding of this issue.

Throughout the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), Jesus never shirks the responsibility of helping those with health issues. Story after story tells of Jesus healing people with illnesses, diseases, disabilities, etcetera. Compassion oozes from Jesus. It isn't even a question whether or not to help. The answer is always to touch the one in need to bring restoration to their aching body and empty soul.

Beyond the stories of Jesus in the gospels is the text in James used when we offer an anointing service, which speaks directly about our responsibility to those with health conditions. “Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord.” The results: “The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven.”

Ensuring that people have opportunities for health care is very important. Government is a necessary piece of this puzzle in whatever form that may take. But the church has a significant responsibility in this puzzle as well. When the church takes its responsibility seriously the need to depend on legislation may be reduced. Greater dependence on prayer may increase the health of people in our nation. Both government and prayer are needed. I simply ponder which will be depended on more.