Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Ponderings from the Moderator - Dana McNeil

I Will Follow Jesus

At the Peoria Church of the Brethren we are working our way through the Gospel of John during worship and bible study. A verse really jumped out at me a couple of weeks ago. A group came to Jesus saying,

“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:24-27, NIV)


I wonder how often we do the same thing. Saying “Jesus, show us who you are”, and Jesus says “I show you who I am every day, are you looking. Seek Me and all this will be given to you”.

I wonder how often we say, “Jesus please pursue me so that I can know you love me, and Jesus says “I gave myself willingly on the cross to show you my love, what more can I do to prove it to you, and oh by the way, do you love Me”

We love the verses that talk about God pursuing us, about God desiring to be in relationship with us, but when I read my bible I much more often find the words “Follow Me” and “Seek Me”. At some point we have to let go of being chased and choose to follow. At some point in our relationship with Jesus we have to move past just being loved by Jesus and live into loving Jesus.

I want to share the words to a wonderful new song that speaks so beautifully to this idea. It speaks to the truth that it is in the following that we are truly fulfilled.

I Will Follow
by Jon Guerra

When the sea is calm and all is right,
When I feel Your favor flood my life
Even in the good, I'll follow You,
Even in the good, I'll follow You

When the boat is tossed upon the waves,
When I wonder if You'll keep me safe
Even in the storms, I'll follow You,
Even in the storms, I'll follow You

(Chorus)
I believe everything that You say You are,
I believe that I have seen Your unchanging heart
In the good things and in the hardest part
I believe and I will follow You,
I believe and I will follow You

When I see the wicked prospering,
When I feel I have no voice to sing
Even in the want, I'll follow You,
Even in the want, I'll follow You

When I find myself so far from home,
And You lead me somewhere I don't wanna go
Even in my death, I'll follow You,
Even in my death, I'll follow You

When I come to end this race I've run,
And I receive the prize that Christ has won
I will be with You in Paradise,
I will be with You in Paradise