Tuesday, November 01, 2016

From the Moderator

I am Allegra Hess, a member of the York Center congregation, and the newly installed moderator of the IL/WI district. “Don’t Be Afraid- I Bring Good News” is our theme for the ’17 District Conference. How often we are reminded in scripture that we are to trust in God and not be afraid- Isa 12:2. “Perfect love dispels fear”, “Fear not, I am with you always”. Currently, it seems like fear often dictates our decisions and determines our actions. In sharp contrast to that, we need to find ways to rely on our loving, merciful, and always present God, trusting that we will find comfort in the presence of God’s spirit in our lives. We may need a reminder that Jesus’ message was all about trust in God, and, accepting God’s grace and protection, and then offering that love and grace to all whom we meet.

We are challenged to admit our fears and commit them to God’s love and enduring care. Then we can live a life of expectant hope and joy.

I plan to contact congregations in the new year, detailing my interest and availability to visit your church and learn of your fears and struggles, to hear of your hopes, dreams and the ways you are living out your faith in your particular setting.

I leave you with words from the hymn, “How Firm a Foundation”:
Fear not, I am with you; O be not dismayed
For I am your God and will still give you aid.
I’ll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,
Upheld by my gracious, omnipotent hand.