Monday, March 01, 2010

From the District Moderator

Last month I said I was disappointed that I had not yet received any invitations to district churches. Well, I am pleased to say that I now have three invitations, and I am looking forward to my first visit this weekend, March 7. I do plan to expand on the theme I have chosen for this year, Get in line—with Jesus.

I am also looking forward to the district potluck, May 1, at the Peoria Church of the Brethren. I volunteered to lead in some capacity and, lo and behold, I am leading a workshop on the cultural diversity inherent in the Christian faith, built into the church’s very fabric from the very beginning.

As advance notice, one scripture relevant to the nature of the church can be found in the book of Acts: in Antioch the disciples were first called Christian.
Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that took place over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, and they spoke the word to no one except Jews.

But among them were some men of Cyprus and Cyrene who, on coming to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists also, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. The hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number became believers and turned to the Lord.

News of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he came and saw the grace of God, he rejoiced, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast devotion; for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were brought to the Lord.

Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch.

So it was that for an entire year they met with the church and taught a great many people, and it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called "Christians."
[11.19-26]
The congregational make-up is of great interest. More to come at the district event.

Please keep in prayer the work of our two main district bodies, the Leadership Team and the New Church Development Team. The make-up of these bodies also reflects some of the diversity and tensions within our district—many of the conversations illustrate a deep commitment to the gospel in varied forms.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Peoria.

Orlando Redekopp, Moderator
Illinois-Wisconsin District