Saturday, January 01, 2011

From the Moderator, Lisa Fike

At the close of District Conference in November of 2010, I issued an invitation to all of us. That invitation was to read John 15:5 at least once a day. I have spent many hours contemplating the words of this passage. I especially like the way Eugene Peterson has paraphrased, in the “Message” he writes: “ I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation is intimate and organic, the harvest is sure and abundant.”

Jesus reminds us that when we hold fast to Him as the Vine together we can accomplish awesome things. To take that another step when each and every one of us is connected to the Vine the harvest will be abundant.

When I contemplate these words I find myself in awe of the possibilities.

I have chosen phrase: “joined with me and I with you” as our district theme for 2011.

Also at district conference I also mentioned that I would like each church to create a banner measuring 12 inches by 15 inches. The theme for your banner may be taken from anywhere in John 15: 1-17. (There’s a lot of good stuff there.) Please include your congregation/fellowship name; also include a means of hanging the banner. At the close of district conference 2011 we will distribute the banners to a sister congregation, in other words you will not go home with the banner you brought.

I am looking forward to this year working together as God’s branches and the awesome possibilities that brings.